Sunday

Bohol

Cambuhat Fisher Folk

We took the one-day eco-cultural trip called the Cambuhat River and Village Tour, which was highly commended for ecotourism excellence by Conservation International in 2002. From Tagbilaran City, our first stop was at the Tubigon Loomweavers Multipurpose Cooperative (Pinayagan Norte, Tubigon; telefax +6338 508 9081), where local women produce globally traded raffia souvenir items made from buri palm. Apart from interacting with the weavers, I was invited to try doing some weaving of my own—an experience that made me appreciate their amazing dexterity in creating works of art from indigenous materials.

Bohol
We made another 20-minute trip to reach the Cambuhat River in Buenavista. I was warmly welcomed by the community and they gave me a necklace accessorized by oyster shells. Later, the residents invited me to paddle a boat on the calm river. While navigating the pristine water of Cambuhat River, the locals told me about how they make a living from oyster farming, grouper culture, and mud crab harvesting. The protecting the natural wealth of our coastal cleanups, and how they the quantity and size of their uncultured project won’t exceed the river’s carrying capacity.

Photo and Article Source: Mabuhay Magazine (PAL)

No comments:

Post a Comment