Saturday

Bicol - Misibis Bay

Bicol - Misibis Bay
What's two parts class and one part gung-ho adventure? It's the Misibis Bay Raintree, a hot new resort in Bicol.

To get there, I hop on a one-hour shuttle ride from the Legazpi City airport to Cagraray, a fresh haven off the western coast of Albay. Cagraray is dubbed the "Boracay of Albay" not because of a throbbing party scene but because of its bountiful virgin beaches. During the ride, I'm given snacks, bottled water, and a cold towel. This is the service at Misibis Bay: classic Filipino hospitality upped an ante, thanks to a staff who not only attend to your every need but to your every want as well.

When I arrive, I get a handmade angelfish necklace around my neck and a cold glass of buko­ lychee juice while dancers in colorful traditional garb put on a welcome presentation. Then I'm ushered to my room, thoughtfully shaded with an umbrella under the afternoon sun.

There are no imposing hotel buildings at Misibis Bay, only villas. This makes it feel more like a luxe compound than a typical resort. The overall look is clean, organic, and modern, with a seamless infusion of local decor, including pieces made from Mayon ash. Old hotel standbys such as beige walls and polished dark wood furniture are still there, but elegant native touches and bursts of color add warmth and interest. Large windows flourish rooms with dramatic views, but lush foliage around each villa provides privacy. At night, walking by the soft yellow glow cast by the rooms, the atmosphere is cozy and inviting.
"Our villas are so homey that some guests end up just staying in them," says Marivic Fajardo, Misibis Bay's marketing manager.  I can see why.

When I enter my room, the TV flashes a personalized welcome message; the table has an assortment of snacks, and a woven bag with L'Occitane toiletries and VMV sunscreen lie on my bed. I settle in with a soothing foot spa. For a moment, I wonder: are they pulling out all the stops because I'm from a travel magazine?  I get my answer when I see other guests getting the same treatment. Turns out, around here, all the guests are VIPs.

Somehow, I manage to pry myself out of my room. Misibis Bay has three pools (one of which is right outside my door) and a private beach. I head for the latter. Before I doze off on one of their daybeds, a smiling attendant in her Rajo Laurel uniform comes out of nowhere and sets down a tray with pandan juice and chocolate chip cookies. Just as my drink runs out, she returns, asking if I want more. More than once I think to myself, "Ah, this is the life."

Aside from the pools and the beach, there's more than enough to do should boredom strike. Misibis Bay is a "luxury island playground" - and the toys here make for some serious playtime. There’s a playground for kids and an entertainment center, which will house a library, a billiards table, board games, and video games. There are a host of water  sports-from aqua biking to diving­ and all-terrain vehicle (ATV) rides for landlubbers. An eco park is in the works; soon, guests will enjoy outdoor activities like horseback riding,  wall-climbing, paint balling, and flying down the country's longest  zip line (a total  of 600m). Got some extra (okay, a lot of extra) cash? Board a chopper and get a bird's eye view of the Mayon Volcano.

Bicol - Misibis Bay

While Cagraray itself has beaches and caves to explore,  Misibis Bay is also a fantastic jump-off point to other  sites of interest in the area. The Caramoan Islands, the Camarines Sur wakeboarding and resort complex, whale shark  spotting in Donsol, hot springs, and underground rivers are each a two-hour  drive away.

Photo and Article Source : Mabuhay Magazine (PAL)

No comments:

Post a Comment